St Michael and All Angels
Episcopal congregation existed in Helensburgh as early as 1814. In 1841 a small
apartment in William St was fitted up as a temporary Chapel and in September
the Rt Rev Dr Michael Russell, the first Bishop of the restored United Diocese
of Glasgow & Galloway, administered the Eucharist to 28 people.
Within a month of the Bishop’s visit the Revd James McKenzie was appointed as the first incumbent. In 1843 a church dedicated to the Holy Trinity was consecrated by Bishop Russell. The building was of stone, plain and functional, seating 220. In 1851 a Day School was added to this chapel, which continued until 1912.
1857 the present Rectory or Parsonage was built, the date being commemorated in
the etched windows of the front door. In the same year the railway arrived in
Helensburgh, leading to a fast growth in the population, so that by 1868 the
congregation had outgrown Holy Trinity Chapel.
present St Michael & All Angels was completed in 1868. Sir Robert Rowand
Anderson, the Edinburgh architect, chose the French Gothic style of the 13th
century for the building. The external stonework of red sandstone was from
Comcockle, Dumfriesshire and the internal limestone from Caen in Normandy.
St Michael’s Church which is the only “Grade A” listed church in Helensburgh, was built and consecrated in 1868, the second church on the site. The building was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson and contains what is said to be one of the finest collections of stained-glass windows in Scotland. There are guide-books available in church which will tell you more about the building and the windows.
During the long ministry of the Rev John
Syme (1862-1905 ) some important improvements were made to the fabric and
furnishings, most noticeable being the organ built by August Gern, foreman of
the famous French organ builders Cavaille-Coll.
The church hall was built in 1912 and in
1930 the Church tower, with a peal of eight bells cast by John Taylor &
Co., of Loughborough, was built and dedicated.
Further additions in recent years have
been the simple and beautiful side chapel in 1958, the small hall in 1968 and
the front porch in 1996.